29 Aug 2014
Notice is hereby given in terms of Section 40 (1) of the National Heritage Act of 2004 (Act number 27 of 2004) of the removal of the Equestrian Statue Monument from the National Heritage Register.
The statue was proclaimed a national monument under the National Monuments Act of 1969 and was published in the Government Gazette number 2951 on 2 January 1969.
The Equestrian Statue is viewed to have lost its monumental significance after Namibia gained independence in 1990, therefore, does not have any significance in a liberated Namibia.
The public is informed that the National Heritage Council has removed this statue from the National Heritage Register. It is now kept inside the courtyard of the Alte Feste as an ordinary historical object.
PROCLAMATION OF NEW NATIONAL HERITAGE SITES
Notice is hereby given in terms of section 36 (1) of the National Heritage Act, 2004 (Act number 27 of 2004) of the declaration and registration of the following heritage sites:
King Lipumbu ya Tshilongo Memorial Site
Located at Onatshiku, this site housed the palace of King Lipumbu ya Tshilongo. During the King's reign his palace was bombed and destroyed in an exchange of fire between his battalion and the South African Military.
This site is located in the Onayena Constituency. The first Finnish Missionaries were allowed to settle here by the King of Odonga when they arrived to bring Christianity to northern-Namibia. Here the local communities were taught about God and how to read, write and count.
House Gluck Auf
House Gluck Auf was built between 1907 and 1908 for Dr Karl Reinshapen, a lawyer who worked in the Diamond Industry at the time of the diamond rush in Luderitz. In 1925 the property came under ownership of CDM, A German Mining Company and served as the mine office for a long time.
The town was established in 1884 as a trading post but most of the buildings were developed during the economic boom, 1908 - 1912, given rise by the discovery of diamonds in the area. Gluck Auf is a typical example of these historical buildings. The structure is nearly 105 years old and is regarded as a heritage resource with architectural value. The unique architectural character of Luderitz as a whole and the Gluck Auf's association with the diamond industry, an important aspect of Luderitz's heritage, are important contributing factors to its hertitage significance. The significance of the site is further supported by its group value as an intrinsic component of the historical core of Luderitz.
Blue Files (Heritage Buildings)
The Blue Files contain listed buildings in Windhoek, Luderitz, Swakopmund, Karbib and Omaruru. Any Building 50 years or older, warrants protection and preservation as a heritage building. As per section 53 (6) of the National Heritage Act (Act number 27 of 2004), an owner of a listed building must not carry out, cause or permit any work for the alteration or development of that building without prior written consent from the Council.
It is the duty of the NHC to ensure that the architectural, aesthetic and historical significance of the heritage buildings are retained.