|Classification|||||A.12. Industrial Heritage|
|Refences|||||Official Gazette 4620, No. 519, 1975. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p. 213-215.|
|Legal Status|||||Declared as National Monument on 31.03.1975 by the National Monuments Council of South Africa (NMC, National Monuments Act 1969, No. 28).|
Windows of the protective building darkened. Shop and toilets..
The street locomotive arrived in Walvis Bay in 1896, manufactured by the Fowler Company in California, USA, and was imported from Germany to carry weighloads of freight from Swakopmund to Heigamkab. The exhausting transport from Walvis Bay to Swakopmund took three months. Only a small number of profitable trips have been carried out with the railway. When the Swakop River flooded the line finally, the locomotive was left where it stood and decayed. After restoration in 2003, a protective building was erected.