|Classification|||||A.08.4. Historical and Military Sites, Military Fortifications and Sites|
|Place|||||Grootfontein, Upingtonia St|
|Site Environment|||||Garden with palm trees, the Grootfontein fountain.|
|Previous Use|||||Administration offices, accomodation, school, hostel.|
|Current Use|||||Museum, HIV/Aids office, Pre-primary School.|
|Refences|||||Official Gazette 4620, No. 520, 1975. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p. 121-122.|
|Legal Status|||||Declared as National Monument on 21.03.1975 by the National Monuments Council of South Africa (NMC, National Monuments Act 1969, No. 28).|
Southern wing with two towers for offices and dwelling. Right wing with 3 sets of rooms for married police officers, storeroom, library..
Erected in 1896 by the "Schutztruppe" and the native population. Grootfontein became a district, being still part of the Outjo District. The administration whose mission was to drain the swamps near the fontains, moved into the fort. Over the years, the building was extended for numerous times. In 1908 it was restored. After 1915, the SWA administration used it as head quarters and barracks, later as a school and hostel. After restoration from 1970, the museum opened its door on 20.10.1983 under the auspices of the Namibia Scientific Society.