|Classification|||||A.11.3.3. (Complexes of) Buildings, Private, Business Buildings|
|Place|||||Swakopmund, Sam Nujoma Ave|
|Site Environment|||||City Centre|
|Instangible Aspects|||||Last relic of the Otavi Railway|
|Previous Use|||||Goods shed, residence.|
|Current Use|||||Guest house.|
|Refences|||||Official Gazette 4846, No. 1777, 1975. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p. 188-190.|
|Legal Status|||||Declared as National Monument on 19.09.1975 by the National Monuments Council of South Africa (NMC, National Monuments Act 1969, No. 28).|
Small symmetrical house with a typical German hipped roof..
Besides the State Railway, Swakopmund had a parallel running second line: the Otavi Railway for mining. The terminal building still exists (121/2007), next to the OMEG-Haus, the goods shed. The line to Tsumeb had been constructed between 1903 and 1906. In 1910, the German government closed the State line and used the Otavi line to Karibib instead. Because its terminal was too small, the State terminal was used and the Otavi-Buildings became a residence. In 1971, the OMEG-Haus was taken over and restored by the "Society for Scientific Development" and now serves as its guest house.