|Classification|||||A.11.3.1. (Complexes of) Buildings, Private, Residences|
|Place|||||Lüderitz, Diamantenberg St|
|Current Use|||||Guest house.|
|Refences|||||Government Gazette 4855, No. 1823, 1975. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p. 203-204.|
|Legal Status|||||Declared as National Monument on 26.09.1975 by the National Monuments Council of South Africa (NMC, National Monuments Act 1969, No. 28).|
Two storeys, tower room, small cellar. Stone foundation. Some balconies and alcoves. Sun clock. The house is especially known for its interior that is decorated with details typical for the art nouveau style. Entrance hall ceiling with impressionistic paintings..
During the height of the "diamond fever" 1908-10, many of the newly rich built themselves luxurious, mostly double-storeyed villas that are called "diamond palaces", like this one built in 1909. The mine inspector Hans Goerke moved in the following year, stayed only until 1912 and sold it in 1920 to the Consolidated Diamond Mining Company (CDM) who used it as residence for their chief engineer. The company moved to Oranjemund and sold the house to the SWA adminstration in 1944. Until 1981 it was the magistrate's residence. The CDM repurchased it in 1983 an renovated it and used it as a guest house. Today it is open to the public.