|Classification|||||A.05.1. Archaeology, Rock Art|
|Place|||||Ameib, Farm No. 60, near Usakos|
|Site Environment|||||Guest farm with camping. Also popular for granite formations like the "bulls party".|
|Previous Use|||||Accomodation for nomads.|
|Current Use|||||Tourist attraction.|
|Refences|||||Official Gazette 1575, No. 119, 1951. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p.34. Breuill, H., "Philipp Cave", London 1957.|
|Legal Status|||||Declared as National Monument on 01.02.1951 by the Historical Monuments Commission for South West Africa (HMC).|
The cave is 15 m deep, 35 m broad an 7 m high. White lines painted on the top. The most popular of the numerous paintings - mostly animals like giraffe and rhinoceros, but also human depictions and handprints - is a large white elephant..
Named after the former owner of the farm, E. Phillipp. Most popular rock art until 1977. Some artefacts were found and dated 3,368+/-200BP.