|Classification|||||A.11.2.2. (Complexes of) Buildings, Public, School Buildings|
|Place|||||Tsumeb, Main Street|
|Site Environment|||||Opposite the park. Close to the Roman Catholic Church.|
|Previous Use|||||School, hospital, residence.|
|Current Use|||||Tsumeb Museum since 1975; tourism information centre, member of Museums Association of Namibia.|
|Refences|||||Official Gazette 5895, No. AG 14, 1990. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p.161-162.|
|Legal Status|||||Declared as National Monument on 15.02.1990 by the National Monuments Council of South Africa (NMC, National Monuments Act 1969, No. 28).|
Small, wall corners of stone, round-arched windows. In 1920 further rooms, divided from the old part by a small corridor, were added: mining room, garage. Veranda in the front has been closed in. Only the front part has white plaster. Some rooms are rented out as a flat. Measuring 6478 qm. Information plaque..
First school building in the skittle alley of the Minen Hotel founded in 1912 by missionary Ferdinand Lang. After the proposition of the school inspector B. Voigt, the new building was errected in 1915. OMEG donated 3,000 Marks and a site; the German government 15,000 Marks for this purpose. Because it was completed during WWI, it served as school for 23 German children only for a short time until it was taken over as a military hospital for the German forces and confiscated by the Union forces in 1918. German children resumed classes from 1920. Each OMEG employee contributed 3 Marks per month. In 1930, 100 children learned there. Because of the drop of the copper prices in 1930, the German residents could not afford the private school any longer. In 1931, the South African government took it over. It served as a school until 1950. Under the auspices of the Namibien Scientific Society, Otavi Bergland, a private museum opened its doors in 1975 (founder: Mrs Ilse Schatz, community based). In the meantime it stood abandoned; parts of the buildings were rented out.