|Classification|||||A.08.3.2. Historical and Military Sites, Battle Fields, Colonial Resistance|
|Place|||||Okahandja, Farm Okaharui|
|Previous Use|||||Battle Field, mass grave.|
|Refences|||||Official Gazette 3744, No. AG 11, 1978. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p.100-103. Pool, G., " Die Herero-Opstand 1904-1907", Cape Town 1979.|
|Legal Status|||||Declared as National Monument on 01.05.1978 by the National Monuments Council of South Africa (NMC, National Monuments Act 1969, No. 28).|
Pyramidal granite structure, 4 m high, together with 5 m land on the western, 3 m on the northern and southern an 15 m on the eastern side. Bronze plaque mounted indicating the names and ranks of the fallen soldiers..
Erected in 1913 to commemorate 32 German soldiers who died on 3 April 1904 in the battle with the Hereros and most were buried in a mass grave on the battle field. The battle started because the Germans were defeated at Ovikokorero so they attempted to break the force of the Hereros. They had to combine forces with the troops from the east and west but no contact could be made with the west. The Hereros attacked the soldiers from the rear end as they were moving through dense bush. In this battle, 237 German soldiers were involved of which one officer and 31 others were killed and 15 wounded. The number of the Herero warriors had been estimated between 350 and 1,000 but it is uncertain how many were killed and wounded. The Germans fended off the Herero attacks and forced them into a north-eastern direction. The Hereros admired the Germans for their bravery and strength.