|Classification|||||A.12. Industrial Heritage|
|Site Environment|||||Near the harbour in front of the train station.|
|Refences|||||Official Gazette 1757, No. 123, 1953. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p. 216-218.|
|Legal Status|||||Declared as National Monument on 15.04.1953 by the Historical Monuments Commission for South West Africa (HMC).|
In a protective casing of bricks and glass..
In attempt to bridge the the desert sand belt between Walvis Bay and the border of the British enclave, a small 18km railroad system was set up. Railway Engine No. 652 was ferried to Walvis Bay. The great enemy of the line was the shifting sand, therefore it could not be used fully. Between 1903 and 1905 it earned a total of 39 pounds by taking government officials on private trips; expenditure was 1,200 pounds. It also has been used for removing rubbish and shift cargo. In 1905 operations stopped altogether. In 1913 the buildings at Plum were removed, though some pieces of the line are still there. The engine was repaired at Usakos and stood in front of the Windhoek Station for many years. It was relocated in 1963.