|Classification|||||A.08.3.2. Historical and Military Sites, Battle Fields, Colonial Resistance|
|Site Environment|||||Enclosed by Monumentweg, Suidstraat and Hofstraat.|
|Previous Use|||||Battle field.|
|Current Use|||||Nature Park was suggested but never realised.|
|Refences|||||Government Gazette 3473, No. 615, 1972. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p.77-78.|
|Legal Status|||||Declared as National Monument on 21.04.1972 by the National Monuments Council of South Africa (NMC, National Monuments Act 1969, No. 28).|
Huge stone blocks behind which the Hereros took cover..
Captain Victor Franke was in the south of Namibia when he received word that Omaruru was under siege by the Hereros. Franke and his force of 7 officers, 2 medical doctors, 126 soldiers and 2 canons arrived at Omaruru on 04 February 1904. They were met by a force of 3000 men and 4 canons who were firing away at them fiercely. In the fight 100 Hereros were killed and the Germans lost 3 non-commissioned officers and 4 soldiers. After heavy fighting the Hereros came out from behind the rock shelters and the Germans could break the siege. After the war the community erected the tower to commemorate the relief of Omaruru by Victor Franke, inaugurated on 04 February 1904 and every year after this a service was held and a fire lit at the top of the tower.