|Classification|||||A.11.1.1. (Complexes of) Buildings, Spiritual, Churches|
|Previous Use|||||Church, school and refuge.|
|Refences|||||Official Gazette 4591, No. 335, 1974. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p. 135-137.|
|Legal Status|||||Declared as National Monument on 20.12.1974 by the National Monuments Council of South Africa (NMC, National Monuments Act 1969, No. 28).|
Simple church building, 2 wooden floors, clocktower with bells..
Cornerstone laid on 18.10.1865 in presence of the Herero Chiefs and the Swartboois, inaugurated on 01.12.1867 by Rev. Hugo Hahn. Chief Zeraua of the Hereros donated 10,000 bricks. The architect and building contractor was Eduard Haelbich. A tower was added in 1899 by Jakob Diehl, the builder of the mission station. Served as a place of refuge during several wars and the raids by the Afrikaners and their allies. The building replaced a smaller one that was completed in 1850, soon after the arrival of Hahn and his collegue Johannes Rath. Hahn performed up to 4 services each Sunday, in German, English or Afrikaans. During the weeks, it was used as school. Otjimbingwe established itself as the headquarter of the German colony until major Curt von Francois moved it to Windhoek in 1890.