|Classification|||||A.11.2.2. (Complexes of) Buildings, Public, School Buildings|
|Place|||||Windhoek, Klein Windhoek, Sam Nujoma Drive|
|Site Environment|||||Tucked away behind a number of buildings.|
|Instangible Aspects|||||Outcome of the first efforts to have formal education in Windhoek.|
|Previous Use|||||School, laundry, offices, kindergarten.|
|Refences|||||Official Gazette 5105, No. 67, 1985. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p.159-161.|
|Legal Status|||||Declared as National Monument on 01.10.1985 by the National Monuments Council of South Africa (NMC, National Monuments Act 1969, No. 28).|
Stone foundation, brick walls, red roof of corrugated iron. One classroom for 45 pupils, a storage room, an entrance hall and an outhouse. Round-arched entrance with stairs..
Since 1894, the German community made some efforts to offer formal education in Windhoek, but until 1909, when the colony was granted self-government and a school association was founded in Klein Windhoek, there was only one informal teacher. Then, a piece of land was donated by the "Wassererschliessungsgenossenschaft", the government granted 6,000 Marks and the German community the building materials. The construction started in January of 1910 with C Ankenbrandt as its architect and A Fritzsche as its builder. The school opend as "Klein Windhoeker Regierungsschule" in May 1910. It was also used as the community committee's meeting place and for church services on every second Sunday. When the South West Africa Administration took over in 1920, the school association had to rent the building. It was closed in 1924 and served as a school laundry until 1949. Before it accomodated government officials until 1969, a bathroom was added. In 1968, an outer buillding was erected. Since 1970 it served as office for the local Boy Scout group, the Namibian Mountaineering Club and kindergarten.