|Classification|||||A.11.1.1. (Complexes of) Buildings, Spiritual, Churches|
|Place|||||Windhoek, Robert Mugabe Ave.|
|Site Environment|||||City Centre|
|Instangible Aspects|||||Oldest Evangelical Church in Namibia.|
|Refences|||||Official Gazette 4515, No. 2211, 1974. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p.144-145.|
|Legal Status|||||Declared as National Monument on 29.11.1974 by the National Monuments Council of South Africa (NMC, National Monuments Act 1969, No. 28).|
Built in neo-Romanic style. Sandstone walls; portal of Carrarian marble. Length 28 m, width 14 m, nave height 12,5 m, tower height 42 m. Stained glass windows..
The Evangelical Clutheran congregation of Windhoek was founded in 1896 by Pastor Heinrich Siebe. The erection of the church after the plans of the government architect Gottlieb Redecker startet in 1907 and the concecration took place in 1910. Many parts were manufactured in Germany. Before WWI, Ms Seitz donated a copy of Rubens' "The Resurrection of Lazarus" and a altar piece. In 1923, eight large bronze panel with the names of all Germans who were killed in Namibia were installed; as well as a new marble altar. Renovation in 1967 and 1971. New terrazzo floor and grantite altar.