|Classification|||||A.11.2.5. (Complexes of) Buildings, Public, Police Buildings and Prisons|
|Place|||||Windhoek, Robert Mugabe Ave., Goethe St|
|Refences|||||Official Gazette 5187, No. 53, 1986. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p.168-170. For plans and newspaper cut-outs see file.|
|Legal Status|||||Declared as National Monument on 01.04.1986 by the National Monuments Council of South Africa (NMC, National Monuments Act 1969, No. 28).|
Erected 1906 to 1907 after plans of Gottlieb Redecker. It was used as a prison until 1963. Only one successful escape during that period. After its closure, it served as storage space. In 1984, a six-storeyed office block, the First National Development Corporation Building had been built partly into the courtyard of the former prison. One cell has been preserved in its original state.